Insects can be a garden lover's great ally. Attracting the right insects into your garden will be a huge help in the management of pests and the maintenance of the overall health of your garden.
With a few simple steps we can easily make our gardens more inviting for a range of insects:
- Add a pond. Even a very small pond can be one of the most important garden features for attracting wildlife.
- Stop using chemicals. Introducing strong chemicals can have a snowball effect all the way up the food chain.
- Plant native plants. Insects can be very particular and native plants are often preferred.
- Try to have a range of habitats in the garden.
- Create a mini-beast hotel. They are fantastic looking features and can really provide a base in your garden for a range of insects. Mini-beast hotels are also very popular amongst children and are a great way for them to learn about the amazing world of insects in their own backyards!
I hand make mini-beast hotels so do get in touch if this is something you would like in your garden!